Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey (ACDL NJ)
Logo of the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
The Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey (ACDL-NJ) was established in 1985. Today, the ACDL-NJ has grown to more than 400 members from the 21 counties in the state. The ACDL-NJ is an affiliate of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL).
The organization is headquartered in West Allenhurst, NJ. It provides a unified voice for members of the criminal defense bar in the State of New Jersey. Additionally, through support, CLE seminars, and networking opportunities it helps criminal defense attorneys improve their practice.
ACDL-NJ was established "to respond to the continuing problems confronting criminal defense lawyers when they honestly, ethically, but zealously represent their clients; to protect and insure compliance with those individual rights guaranteed by the New Jersey and United States Constitutions; and to encourage cooperation among criminal defense lawyers engaged in the furtherance of those objectives."
Membership is available to criminal defense lawyers in New Jersey in both public practice and in the private sector. The attorneys in the organization practice in the courts at the local, state and federal level.
Benefits of Membership to ACDL-NJ
The benefits of joining ACDL-NJ include:
- Possible referrals from the public or other attorneys through the ACDL-NJ directory;
- Discussion forum to connect the entire membership;
- Access to online practice resources for New Jersey criminal defense lawyers including the ACDL-NJ Toolkit;
- Protection through the Lawyers' Assistance program;
- Ability to request amicus representation;
- A voice in the New Jersey legislature on important issues for criminal defense attorneys;
- The opportunity to attend CLE seminars and events at a reduced charge; and
- Access members-only areas of the ACDL-NJ website.
Members of ACDL-NJ have the opportunity to serve on various committees including:
- Education and Seminars Committee
- Membership Committee
- Amicus Committee
- Lawyer's Assistance Committee
- Legislative Committee
- ACDL-NJ Bylaws Committee
- Municipal Court Committee
- Public Relations Committee
- Website Committee
CLE Seminars Sponsored by ACDL-NJ
Every January, ACDL-NJ co-sponsors the “Criminal Justice Act Training Panel Seminar” with the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education in conjunction with the Association of the Federal Bar. ACDL-NJ also sponsors the “Super Saturday” seminar, devoted entirely to criminal defense issues.
Life-Members of ACDL-NJ
Many members of ACDL-NJ have provided additional financial support to ACDL-NJ in order to become a Life-Member of ACDL-NJ. Life membership shows the attorneys dedication and loyalty to the organization and its mission of improving the criminal justice system throughout the State of New Jersey.
- Stephen S. Weinstein
- Justin P. Walder
- Carl D. Poplar
- Maria D. Noto
- Brian J. Neary
- John P. McDonald
- Lawrence S. Lustberg
- Richard S. Lehrich
- Edwin J. Jacobs, Jr.
- Joseph A. Hayden, Jr.
- Francis J. Hartman
- S.M. Chris Franzblau
- Raymond F. Flood
- Miles R. Feinstein
- Donald A. DiGioia
- Raymond M. Brown
- William H. Buckman
- Robert S. Bonney
- John D. Arseneault
- Salvatore Alfano
Past Presidents of ACDL-NJ
- Darren M. Gelber (2013-2014)
- Timothy M. Donohue (2012-2013)
- Leslie Stolbof Sinemus (2011-2012)
- William H. Buckman (2010-2011)
- Donald DiGioia (2009-2010)
- John C. Whipple (2008-2009)
- Justin T. Loughry (2007-2008)
- Blair R. Zwillman (2006-2007)
- Robert S. Bonney, Jr. (2005-2006)
- John P. McDonald (2004-2005)
- Maria D. Noto (2003-2004)
- Richard S. Lehrich (2002-2003)
- Lawrence S. Lustberg (2001-2002)
Contact Information for ACDL-NJAssociation of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
P.O. Box 180
West Allenhurst, NJ 07711
This article was last updated on Sunday, January 31, 2016.