California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
Logo of the California Association for Criminal Justice
California Attorneys for Criminal Justice (CACJ) was formed in 1973. Today, it has grown to over 2,000 members. CACJ is the country's largest statewide organization of criminal defense lawyers.
In 1973, George Porter wrote a letter to criminal defense lawyers through California proposing the creation of a statewide organization to serve the criminal defense bar. Shortly thereafter, the founding members created the California Association for Criminal Justice (CACJ). Its offices are located in the state capital of Sacramento, California,
The CACJ works to defend the rights of the accused, provides quality continuing legal education courses, preserves due process, and protects the independence of the criminal defense lawyer.
Since strengthening its presence in the California State Capitol, CACJ provides the criminal defense bar with a more unified voice on legislative matters. In fact, CACJ employs a lobbyist to provide continuous and aggressive representation before the California legislature on issues of importance to criminal defense lawyers in California interested in improving the rights of the accused and fairness in our criminal justice system.
Upcoming CACJ Seminars
The upcoming 2017 CACJ's 44th Annual Criminal Defense Seminar & Awards Luncheon is scheduled for Friday, December 15th through 16th at the Hotel Nikko in San Francisco, CA.
The upcoming 2017 CACJ’s DUI Rules of the Road XX Seminar is scheduled for a reception on September 8th and a seminar on September 9th at the Renaissance Hotel Palm Springs in Palm Springs, CA 92262
CACJ publishes a wide list of publications including:
- CACJ Quarterly FORUM Magazine;
- Death Penalty Defense Manual; and
- Contempt Defense Manual.
Committees on the CACJ
Members are encouraged to become involved with various committees on CACJ including:
- Budget Committee
- Contempt Committee
- Death Penalty Committee
- FLASH Committee
- Fundraising Committee
- Indigent Defense Committee
- Legislative Committee
- Liaison to Capital Case Seminar Planning Committee
- Membership Committee
- Mock Trial Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Public Information Committee
- Seminars Committee
- Webinars Committee
Past Presidents of the CACJ
- Matthew Guerrero, Oceano, 2016
- Jeffrey Thoma, Solano County, 2015
- Scott Sugarman, San Francisco, 2014
- Robert Sanger, Santa Barbara, 2013
- Christopher Chaney, Pasadena, 2012
- Jeffrey R. Stein (2011)
- Ann C. Moorman (2010)
- Ted W. Cassman (2009)
- Rickard Santwier (2008)
- Richard Hutton (2007)
- Carleen Arlidge (2006)
- Lynne S. Coffin (2005)
- Jack Early (2004)
- John Cotsirilos (2003)
- Phillip Schnayerson (2002)
- Mia F. Yamamoto (2001)
- Jon Minsloff (2000)
Information on Other Criminal Defense Organizations in California
- California Attorneys for Criminal Justice News - Index of articles from the LA Times about the CACJ including breaking news, commentary, and archival information.
- Criminal Trial Lawyers Association of Northern California - Visit the website for a local organization for criminal defense attorney in San Francisco and Northern California.
- Criminal Defense Bar Association of San Diego - Find out more information about the CDBA for criminal defense lawyers in San Diego, CA.
- California DUI Lawyers Association - Founded in 1989, the CDLA is an affiliate of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL) and promote the rights of the accused and a fair criminal justice system. Many of top DUI Lawyers in California belong to this respected organization.
Contact Information for the CACJCalifornia Association for Criminal Justice (CACJ)
1555 River Park Drive, Suite 105Sacramento, California 95815
Phone: (916) 643-1800
Fax: (916) 643-1836
This article was last updated on Friday, April 14, 2017.