Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
Logo of the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
The Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (TCDLA) has a proud history that began when the organization was chartered on August 12, 1971.
Today the organization has more than 2,800 members which including private attorneys, public defenders and other legal professionals in the criminal defense practice from across the state of Texas.
Benefits of Joining TCDLA
Joining the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association can provide many membership benefits including:
- Inclusion in the TCDLA printed membership directory which is mailed each year to its members;
- Online listing in TCDLA's online membership directory which is open to the public;
- Inclusion in "Lawyer Locator" which allows other attorneys or members of the public to search for members based on their interest in various practice areas;
- Discounts to attend various CLE seminars sponsored by TCDLA each year;
- Access to the TCDLA iPhone or iPad Application on iTunes where members can find a wealth of practical information including Texas criminal codes and statutes;
- Copy of TCDLA publications including "Voice for the Defense" Magazine distributed 10 times a year;
- Access to an updated list of experts used in different types of criminal cases;
- Access to TCDLA's listserves which allows members to ask questions and share information with each other;
- Discounts from third party providers for products or services such as practice management software, rental cars, hotels, professional liability insurance, and more;
- Protection from Strike Force, if a member is improperly harassed or threatened with sanctions for the zealous representation of a client;
- Access to the brief and motion bank; and
- A personalized membership certificate.
Committees in TCDLA
Members of TCDLA are encouraged to participate in the organization through service on various committees including:
- the Budget Committee;
- the Executive Committee; and
- the Nominations Committee.
Past Presidents of TCDLA
- John A. Convery of San Antonio (2016)
- Sam Bassett of Austin (2015)
- Emmett Harris (2014)
- Bobby Mims (2013)
- Lydia Clay-Jackson (2012)
- J. Gary Trichter (2011)
- William Harris (2010)
- Stan Schneider (2009)
- Rick Hagen (2008)
- Craig Jett (2007)
- Robert "Bobby" Lerma (2006)
- Randy Wilson (2005)
- Daniel "Dan" Hurley (2004)
- Cynthia Eva Hujar Orr (2003)
- Mark G. Daniel (2002)
- Betty Blackwell (2001)
- Robert C. "Bob" Hinton Jr. (2000)
- Michael P. Heiskell (1999)
- Kent Alan Schaffer (1998)
- E. G. "Gerry" Morris (1997)
- David Botsford (1996)
- Bill Wischkaemper (1995)
- Ronald L. Goranson (1994)
- David R. Bires (1993)
- Gerald H. Goldstein (1992)
- Richard Alan Anderson (1991)
- Tim Evans (1990)
- Judge J. A. "Jim" Bobo (1989)
- Edward A. Mallett (1988)
- Charles D. Butts (1987)
Percy Foreman Lawyer of the Year Award
The Percy Foreman Lawyer of the Year Award honors the individual attorney for providing outstanding legal representation. Named after Percy Foremean, the renowned Criminal Defense Lawyer and TCDLA Charter Member, this award is presented in honor of his almost 60 years of service as an attorney.
The recipient must be in good standing with the TCDLA and the State Bar of Texas and is presented each year at TCDLA's Rusty Duncan seminar by the current President the Association.
- 2012 - Troy McKinney
- 2011 -
- 2009 - Mark G. Daniel
- 2007 - Craig Anthony Washington, Sr.
- 2006 - Jim E. Lavine, Jack B. Zimmermann
- 2005 - Dexter E. Gilford
- 2004 - F. R. Buck Files, Jr.
- 2003 - Jeff Blackburn
- 2001 - William P. Allison
- 1999 - Michael Ramsey
- 1998 - George McCall Secrest, Jr.
- 1997 - Stanley G. Schneider
- 1996 - Clifton L. "Scrappy" Holmes
- 1995 - J. Douglas Tinker
- 1994 - Dick DeGuerin
- 1993 - David L. Botsford
- 1992 - Clifton L. "Scrappy" Holmes
- 1991 - Gerald H. Goldstein
- 1989 - Randy Schaffer
- 1987 - Tim Evans
- 1985 - Robert D. Jones
The State of Texas also has many county-level associations of criminal defense attorneys including:
- Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association;
- San Antonio Criminal Defense Lawyer Association;
- Tarrant County Criminal Defense Lawyer Association;
- Austin Criminal Defense Lawyer Association;
- Collins County Criminal Defense Lawyer Association;
- Fort Bend County Criminal Defense Attorney Association;
- Lubbock Criminal Defense Lawyer Association;
- Dallas Criminal Defense Lawyer Association; and
- Galveston Criminal Defense Lawyer Association.
This article was last updated on Thursday, September 1, 2016.