Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization
At Lawyer Legion, we understand the importance of specialty certification programs. We created a feature on our directory to narrow the search to only Louisiana attorneys who have earned specialty certification.
In 1993, the Louisiana Supreme Court established the Board of Legal Specialization. The board certification program for attorneys was created to help consumers in Louisiana identify attorneys evaluated for their experience and proficiency in a specialized area of the law. Information about attorneys who have successfully completed and maintain certification is publicly available through the Board's website.
The Louisiana House of Delegates must approve all specialty areas, though the Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization makes recommendations for new areas attorneys may seek to become certified in. The Board may designate other organizations to certify lawyers as Louisiana board-certified attorneys in specialty areas. Board certification has been granted to attorneys in Louisiana in the following areas of the law:
- Family Law
- Estate Planning and Administration
- Consumer Bankruptcy, from the American Board of Certification
- Business Bankruptcy, from the American Board of Certification
- Tax Law
Minimum Standards for Board Certification as a Specialist
The Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization has certain minimum mandatory standards for certification. The Board has established specific standards geared toward some areas of specialization. However, standards for any specialty generally include:
- The attorney must be an active member in good standing of the Louisiana State Bar Association;
- The attorney must have at least five (5) years of experience practicing law on a full-time basis;
- The attorney must show substantial involvement in a particular specialty area of the law for which certificate is sought;
- The attorney must have adequate educational experience in the particular field of law;
- The attorney must receive a passing grade on a written examination;
- If determined advisable by the Board, the attorney must pass an oral examination; and
- The attorney must show proof of maintaining a certain level of professional liability insurance.
Contact Information about Louisiana's Legal Specialization ProgramLouisiana Board of Legal Specialization
601 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70130
Toll Free: (800) 421-5722
Fax: (504) 598-6753
Lawyer Legion is not endorsed or approved by any state or national board certification program or by any bar association, including the State Bar of Louisiana.