The National Trial Lawyers
Logo of The National Trial Lawyers
The National Trial Lawyers is a professional organization comprised of the top civil plaintiff and criminal defense trial lawyers in the United States. The goals of the National Trial Lawyers include educating the public about the important work done by trial lawyers to protect individual rights in our judicial system.
Members of The National Trial Lawyers enjoy networking and referral opportunities with other trial attorneys, continuing legal education (CLE) seminars, and training for effective legal strategies in trial advocacy.
The National Trial Lawyer consists of both civil trial lawyers and criminal defense lawyers who are interested in both meeting other litigators and learning how to perfect their skills.
Contact Information for The NTLThe National Trial Lawyers
111 East Main Street
Dothan, Alabama 36301
Phone: (866) 665-2852
Fax: (334) 699-7299
History of The National Trial Lawyers
The National Trial Lawyers was formerly known as “The American Trial Lawyers Association.” The name change to The National Trial Lawyers (also called “The NTL," "The Association,” or “The Trial Lawyers”) was required as part of settlement agreements in two different federal lawsuits.
One of the federal lawsuits was with The American College of Trial Lawyers (often called “The College”). A second lawsuit was settled with the American Association for Justice, formerly known as the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (“ATLA®”).
Being Selected for Membership in the Top 100 or Top 40 Under 40
Each year, The National Trial Lawyers evaluates many of the top trial attorneys in the country for invitation into the Top 100 and Top 40 Under 40. The selection for inclusion in the Top 40 under 40 is limited to only 40 attorneys per state who have extensive experience in either civil plaintiff or criminal defense law.
The attorneys invited for membership must demonstrate superior qualifications, trial results and leadership skills in various specialty areas of trial advocacy. The criteria used to evaluate attorneys for membership involves a multi-phase process including;
- Nominations from other members of The NTL;
- Ratings and rankings of the attorney by other established organization;
- The attorney's reputation with other attorney and judges;
- The attorney's legal achievements in the prior year including verdicts and settlements prior to trial;
- Whether the attorney is Board Certified in a specialty area of the law related to trial advocacy; and
- Membership and leadership in other state and national professional legal associations.
Benefits of Membership in The NTL
The benefits of membership in The National Trial Lawyers include networking and referral opportunities with the top trial attorneys in the United States. Other benefits of membership include:
- Access to legal publications;
- Quality seminars on trial advocacy topics;
- Opportunity to attend the NTLsummit a legal CLE conference of mass tort, pharmaceutical, and class action litigation;
- A listing the The National Trial Lawyers membership directory on its website;
- A subscription to the The Trial Lawyer Magazine;
- Opportunities to submit articles for publication in The Trial Lawyer Magazine;
- Recognition in the state's Top 100 or Top 40 members;
- Membership opportunities in 19 different specialty associations; and
- Invitations and discounts to events hosted by The National Trial Lawyers including its summit and conferences.
Membership in Specialty Association of The National Trial Lawyers
The National Trial Lawyers offer membership opportunities in nineteen (19) different specialty associations in order to helping its members become stronger litigators in different specific practice areas.
Membership in the specialty associations provides attorneys with the ability to gain knowledge, experience and recognition in a focused practice area.
The dues for each of the specialty associations is $150.00 per year. The National Trial Lawyers specialty associations include:
- Motor Vehicle (includes Motorcycle & Tractor Trailer)
- Mass Tort
- Business Tort
- Medical Malpractice
- Products Liability
- Wage and Hour
- Workers Compensation
- Class Action
- Insurance Bad Faith
- National Aviation
- National Asbestos/Mesothelioma
- Nursing Home
- National Brain Injury
- Railroad Accident
- National Black Trial Lawyers
- National Women Trial Lawyers
- National Latino Trial Lawyers
The next summit of the National Trial Lawyers will be held from February 5-8, 2017, at the Loews Miami Beach Hotel in South Beach. The three day program for attorneys that represent plaintiffs in personal injury litigation features over 40 speakers. Topics for the seminar include marketing a personal injury practice, getting more high dollar cases, the basics of proving closed head injury, interstate trucking wreak, insurance bad faith, mass torts, and traumatic brain injury.
Contact Information:Trial Lawyers Summitt
430 West Main
Dothan, Alabama 36301
Telephone: 866 665 2852
Since 2013, the permanent home of The Trial Lawyer Hall of Fame has been located at Temple Law School in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Trial Lawyer Hall of Fame, a non-profit 501c3 organization, opened on September 10, 2014. THe organization is funded through donations. The public can visit The Trial Lawyer Hall of Fame to learn more about this esteemed group of individuals who have fought on behalf of citizens in the name of justice.