Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
Logo of the Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
The Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey (ACDL-NJ) was established in 1985. Since then, it has grown to more than 400 members. It is an affiliate of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL).
The organization provides a unified voice for members of the criminal defense bar in New Jersey. Additionally, through support, CLE seminars, and networking opportunities it helps criminal defense attorneys improve their practice.
ACDL-NJ was established "to respond to the continuing problems confronting criminal defense lawyers when they honestly, ethically, but zealously represent their clients; to protect and insure compliance with those individual rights guaranteed by the New Jersey and United States Constitutions; and to encourage cooperation among criminal defense lawyers engaged in the furtherance of those objectives."
Membership is available to criminal defense lawyers in New Jersey.
Benefits of Membership to ACDL-NJ
The benefits of joining ACDL-NJ include:
- Possible referrals from the public or other attorneys through the ACDL-NJ directory;
- Discussion forum to connect the entire membership;
- Access to online practice resources for New Jersey criminal defense lawyers including the ACDL-NJ Toolkit;
- Protection through the Lawyers' Assistance program;
- Ability to request amicus representation;
- A voice in the New Jersey legislature on important issues for criminal defense attorneys;
- The opportunity to attend CLE seminars and events at a reduced charge; and
- Access members-only areas of the ACDL-NJ website.
Members of ACDL-NJ have the opportunity to serve on various committees including:
- Education and Seminars Committee
- Membership Committee
- Amicus Committee
- Lawyer's Assistance Committee
- Legislative Committee
- ACDL-NJ Bylaws Committee
- Municipal Court Committee
- Public Relations Committee
- Website Committee
CLE Seminars Sponsored by ACDL-NJ
Every January, ACDL-NJ co-sponsors the “Criminal Justice Act Training Panel Seminar” with the New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education. ACDL-NJ also sponsors the “Super Saturday” seminar, devoted entirely to criminal defense issues.
This article was last updated on Wednesday, November 5, 2014.
Past Presidents of ACDL-NJ
- Darren M. Gelber (2013-2014)
- Timothy M. Donohue (2012-2013)
- Leslie Stolbof Sinemus (2011-2012)
- William H. Buckman (2010-2011)
- Donald DiGioia (2009-2010)
- John C. Whipple (2008-2009)
- Justin T. Loughry (2007-2008)
- Blair R. Zwillman (2006-2007)
- Robert S. Bonney, Jr. (2005-2006)
- John P. McDonald (2004-2005)
- Maria D. Noto (2003-2004)
- Richard S. Lehrich (2002-2003)
- Lawrence S. Lustberg (2001-2002)
Contact Information for ACDL-NJAssociation of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey
P.O. Box 180
West Allenhurst, NJ 07711