Lawyer Referral Service in South Carolina
The South Carolina Bar manages a Lawyer Referral Service from its offices in Columbia, SC. The service helps individuals and businesses find a qualified attorney throughout the state who is qualified in a particular practice area of the law.
Attorneys throughout the state of South Carolina participate in the service. The South Carolina Bar uses radio commercials to educate the public about the Lawyer Referral Service.
To receive a referral, you can call the service or use the online form through LRS Online. The online LRS gives individuals the ability to find an attorney based on geographic location and practice area.
Contact Information:South Carolina Bar Lawyer Referral Service
P.O. Box 608
Columbia, SC 29202
Eligibility Requirements for the Referral Service
The service screens the attorneys in advance to determine the attorney's qualification to practice and adherence to recognized ethical standards of the legal profession. Eligibility requirements include:
- the attorney must join the service and pay an annual fee to participate in the service;
- the attorney must agree to follow the rules for the LRS approved by the Board of Governors of the South Carolina Bar;
- the attorneys must also carry and maintain professional liability insurance in the amount of $100,000 minimum;
- the attorney must maintain a business office in which to receive clients within the geographical area served;
- the attorney must certify that he or she is competent in the areas in which referrals are desired and has the necessary legal knowledge, skill, thoroughness and preparation reasonably necessary for the representation.
How Does the South Carolina Lawyer Referral Service Work?
When you call the Lawyer Referral Service, a trained staff person employed by the South Carolina Bar will assist you. The staff person will ask you a few questions about your case to determine whether a referral is appropriate. If so, an attorney is selected on a rotating based on the criteria provided.
You are then entitled to contact the attorney referred to you for a 30-minute consultation. The attorneys that participate in the program have agreed to provide the 30-minute consultation for a fee that will not exceed $50.
During the consultation, you can discuss the case with the attorney, the attorney's experience in those types of cases, and the attorney fees needed for additional representation.
Finding an Attorney in South Carolina
If you need to find an attorney in South Carolina, then consider the benefits of using the Lawyer Referral Service managed by the South Carolina Bar.
The service provides a simple and effective way to find a qualified attorney. The service screens the attorneys in advance and provides important follow-up services to monitor customer satisfaction with the service.
Lawyer Referral Servicess managed by bar associations provide an important alternative to finding an attorney by searching the internet or using an online attorney directory.
This article was last updated on Tuesday, December 20, 2016.