Lawyer Referral Service in Montana
At Lawyer Legion, we recognize the important role the Lawyer Referral & Information Service (LRIS) sponsored by the Montana State Bar plays in helping the public find a qualified and local attorney. The Lawyer Referral Service in Montana serves counties statewide.
The Montana Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) is not a directory of all of the State Bar of Montana's members. Instead, attorneys that participate in the program must apply to be admitted and meet certain eligibility requirements.
The office hours for the service are Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m.
Contact Information:State Bar of Montana
Montana Lawyer Referral & Information Service
P.O. Box 577
Helena, MT 59624
What are the Requirements to Participate?
Attorneys that participate the the Lawyer Referral Service sponsored by the Montana Bar Association must;
- be in good standing with the State Bar of Montana and will abide by the Rules of the Supreme Court and the Rules of Professional Conduct;
- agree to charge clients a reasonable fee and if the lawyer’s practice offers free initial consultations, then the attorney will maintain that policy for the LRIS referred clients;receive referred clients at the office listed above and personally will interview the client;
- maintain in force a Lawyers’ Professional Liability Insurance policy with minimum coverage of $100,000 per claim and $300,000 per year;
- enter into a written Attorney Retainer Agreement with the client that clearly identifies fees and costs associated with the representation: and
- certify that he or she is “competent by virtue of experience, education and/or access to represent clients” in the fields of law selected.
The Montana Lawyer Referral & Information Service will suspend referrals for any panel member who is not a member in good standing as prescribed in Section 6, Article III, of the Rules of Operation of the Montana Lawyer Referral & Information Service.
Finding an Attorney in Montana
If you need to find an attorney in Montana, then consider using the Lawyer Referral and Information Service Directory maintained by the State Bar of Montana. The service makes referrals to attorneys in more than 30 different practice areas of the law.
Lawyer Referral Services provide an important alternative to using the Yellow Pages, an internet search, or a commercial on-line directory.