Massachusetts Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Logo of the Massachusetts Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
MACDL is organization for Massachusetts criminal defense lawyers that, according to its mission statement, seeks "to preserve the adversary system of justice; to maintain and foster independent and able criminal defense lawyers and to ensure justice and due process for persons accused of crime. MACDL will be an advocate for the advocate."
Benefits of Membership
The benefits of belonging to MACDL include:
- a listing on the MACDL website designed with a "Find a Lawyer" membership directory that is searchable and open to the public;
- networking opportunities with experienced criminal defense attorneys across the state;
- access to members only discussion boards and e-mail groups;
- MACDL Strike Force protection from a team of experienced and local attorneys who can respond on an emergency basis if you are ever threatened with sanctions for zealously representing your client; and
- Discounts for Continuing Legal Education (CLE) courses and seminars.
Types of MACDL Memberships
The types of membership to MACDL includes the following categories:
- Regular Member - available to attorneys of professional competence, integrity and good moral character who are actively engaged in the defense of criminal cases. Prosecutors shall not be eligible to join MACDL.
- Law Student Member - Law Student Membership shall be available to persons of integrity and good moral character who are students in law school and committed to criminal defense.
- Associate Member - available to persons of integrity and good moral character who are not actively engaged in the defense of criminal cases, but whose duties and responsibilities are a part of, or contribute to, the defense of criminal cases. There shall be included in this Membership the following: full-time law professors, retired criminal defense lawyers, and non-lawyers who support the goals and objectives of MACDL.
- Honorary Member - available in limited instances to individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to the public welfare and aided in the achievement of the goals of MACDL.
Former Presidents of MACDL
- Lawyers Assistance Strike Force - team of attorney members selected to provide assistance if a fellow member of MACDL comes under attack or is threatened with improper sanctions during the zealous representation of a client including attempts by a prosecutor to disqualify defense counsel, in-court contempt proceedings, threats of disciplinary proceedings, subpoenas to the defense attorney or defense investigators.
- Amicus Curiae Committee - The Amicus Committee continues to respond to requests by defense counsel and the court for amicus filings on appellate issues of importance to the criminal defense community:
- Communications & Newsletter Committee
- Continuing Legal Education (CLE) and Programs Committee
- Legislation Committee
- Membership Committee
- Events and Awards Committee
- Communications Committee
- Federal Practice Committee - includes various subcommittees, for CLE, Court Relations/Procedural Reforms, Discovery, Sentencing/Disposition, and Amicus.
Contact Information for MACDL:
Massachusetts Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (MACDL)
321 Walnut St.
Newton, MA 02460