Montana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Logo of the Montana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
The Montana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (MTACDL) was established in 1997. As an affiliate of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, MTACDL provides training and other resources to private practitioners, full time public defenders, court appointed attorneys, and tribal court advocates.
Members must certify that they are criminal defense attorneys in Montana who are not currently employed as a prosecutor in any local, state, tribal, or federal office. If the member accepts an appointment as a temporary prosecutor or as a temporary police legal advisor, then the member must request a waiver of the provisions of the bylaws of the association prohibiting membership of prosecutors within 30 days.
Benefits of Membership in MTACDL
Member benefits of MTACDL include:
- the opportunity to attend the annual two-day CLE seminar held each March at the Chico Hot Springs resort;
- networking opportunities at periodic meetings;
- a voice in the Montana legislature on issues impacting the profession;
- the opportunity to attend Continuing Legal Education (CLE) courses and seminars for reduced fees;
- amicus briefs filed in the state and federal courts in Montana at the request of members or the courts;
- access to the MTACDL brief bank;
- access to a message board and listserv where members can seek advice and assistance of other members; and
- the opportunity for referrals through the MTACDL website designed with a “Find a Lawyer” membership directory
Lawyer of the Year
Each year, MTACDL designates an attorney for its "Lawyer of the Year" award for outstanding work in criminal defense. Recent awardees include:
- 2013 - John Smith
- 2012 - Mark Werner
- 2011 - Palmer Hoovestal
- 2010 - Chris Daly
- 2009 - Dan Donovan
- 2008 - Michael Donahoe
- Jason Holden
- Eric Olson, Office of the State Public Defender
Contact InformationMontana Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (MTACDL)
P.O. Box 2927
Great Falls, MT 59403
Additional Resources for Criminal Defense in Montana
Find Criminal Defense Attorneys in Montana - Use the online attorney directory at Lawyer Legion to find criminal defense attorneys in the State of Montana. Search by name, location or practice area to find the most highly qualified attorney for your particular case. See how the directory works for criminal defense attorneys in Helena, Montana.
Federal Defenders of Montana - The mission of the Federal Defenders of Montana is to ensure that the right to counsel guaranteed by the Sixth Amendment of the Constitution of the United States, the Criminal Justice Act (Title 18 U.S.C. § 3006A), and other congressional mandates created to protect the right to counsel for those who cannot afford to retain a private attorney counsel or otherwise obtain criminal defense services. The Federal Defenders of Montana help to foster public confidence in the nation's commitment to equal justice under law and ensure the successful operation of the constitutionally-based adversarial system of justice by which both federal criminal laws and federally guaranteed rights are enforced. Federal Public Defenders provide aggressive and effective legal representation to people accused of federal offenses at both the trial and appellate level.
This article was last updated on Friday, August 18, 2017.