Finding the best tax law attorney in your area is a difficult task. At Lawyer Legion we created a directory of tax attorneys to help you find the most qualified attorney or law firm for your particular case. We also created the only directory that allows you to narrow your search to find attorneys who are board certified in taxation law in those states that allow such certification.
Tax laws can be extraordinarily complex for the the average person and overwhelming to a business owner. Everyone who earns any income must pay federal income taxes. Depending on the jurisdiction, there may be state income taxes, sales taxes, excise taxes or more. Businesses must also a variety of different types of local, state and federal taxes.
The Internal Revenue Service is the federal agency charged with assessing and collecting taxes at the federal level. If the IRS suspects a person or entity has not paid their fair share of taxes, it may audit that person. In an audit, the IRS demands certain evidence of claims made in tax filings, including claims made about exemptions and deductions. If the IRS deems that a person has not sufficiently paid taxes, it could demand payment and exact significant interest on any unpaid taxes. Not paying taxes may also lead to criminal charges.
A tax lawyer might represent a person who the IRS has said owes taxes. The lawyer could attempt to show that the person does not, in fact, owe the taxes. He or she could also negotiate with the IRS to lower the amount owed. Tax lawyers may represent clients before the U.S. Tax Court in disputes with the IRS.
Attorneys who practice tax law may also assist businesses with the complicated matters that face them regarding taxes, especially if the company does business outside of the United States.
Certification in Tax Law
Eight states allow attorneys become certified in tax law. A certified tax lawyer has earned the right to advertise himself or herself as a specialist in the field of taxation.
- State Bar of Arizona Board of Legal Specialization: Arizona attorneys can become certified tax lawyers. The attorney is required to show that 50 to 70 percent of their practice is in tax. He or she must also meet experience requirements and pass a written test.
Use our directory to find a certified tax lawyer in Arizona.
- State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization - Taxation Law: California attorneys may become certified in taxation law. These attorneys must show they have practiced at least five years, dedicating a certain percentage of their practice to tax law. They must pass a test and meet other requirements.
Use our directory to locate the most qualified lawyer certified as a specialist in taxation law in California.
- Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization and Education: Certified Florida tax attorneys must show that they have attained minimum experience and education requirements. They must also pass a written test.
Use our search box to find the profiles of certified tax lawyers in Florida.
- Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization: Lawyers in Louisiana may seek certification in tax law. The lawyer must show certain experience and education requirements met and pass an exam.
Use our directory to find a certified tax lawyer in Louisiana.
- New Mexico Board of Legal Specialization: New Mexico lawyers may be certified by the Board in taxation law. They must meet requirements of involvement in taxation law, experience, and pass a test.
- Ohio State Bar Association: Ohio lawyers who wish to be certified by the OSBA in federal taxation must meet experience and involvement requirements, pass a test, and meet other criteria.
Find the most qualified certified federal taxation lawyer in Ohio.
- Supreme Court of South Carolina Commission on Continuing Legal Education and Specialization: South Carolina lawyers can seek certification in taxation law. To be certified, lawyers must show substantial involvement and experience, provide references and pass a written exam.
- Texas Board of Legal Specialization: Texas attorneys can become certified in tax law by the TBLS. A lawyer must show substantial involvement and experience, provide references and pass a written exam.
Use the directory on Lawyer Legion to find a certified tax lawyer in Texas.